One of the two bloggers who was subpoenaed by the federal government after posting a leaked safety directive from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has asked for a delay so that he can challenge the subpoena in court.
Chris Elliott will fight the subpoena in court next week, Lucy Dalglish of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press told the AP. She is serving as a spokesperson for Elliott, a leading travel journalist who writes for the Washington Post, MSNBC, and other allies.
Elliott wrote on his blog earlier this week that TSA agents came to his house to issue the subpoena, in an effort to find out who leaked him the security directive that he published on his blog Sunday, and which was issued by TSA in the wake of the failed Christmas Day terror attack. A second blogger who published the directive and also was subpoenaed, Steven Frischling, has said that he handed over his computer to the agents.
Referring to the decision to issue the subpoenas, Dalglish told the AP: “They should seriously reconsider this,” Dalglish said. “Millions of fliers know these rules are out there.”